Skip to content
Curtin University
Courses Handbook 2017 - [ Archived May 2017 ]

This handbook contains information for courses and units at Curtin in 2016.

Collaborative Course and Unit Partnerships @ Curtin

Curtin has a variety of partnerships with other tertiary institutes and professional bodies. These relationships allow Curtin to offer students a variety of study programs. They include:

Collaborative Awards

Collaborative Awards are specific courses jointly offered between Curtin and other Tertiary Institutions (primarily other Western Australian public universities), although in some instances, they may be offered between Curtin and a professional body, for example, CPA Australia.

In most cases, a student nominates one enrolling institution, which admits them and grants their award. Participating institutions provide additional units, on a cross-institutional basis towards that award, with the logos of all participating institutions normally appearing on the final award.

Open Universities Australia

Open Universities Australia (Open Unis) provides students with choices in how they access learning opportunities at a range of Australian universities and colleges.

For further information refer to Curtin's support site for online students.

Curtin College

Curtin College is located on the main campus of Curtin University in Perth, Western Australia. It offers a pathway for Australian and international students to entry into Curtin's courses.

For more information, please visit the Curtin College website.

Canning College

Canning College provides through its Uni-Direct program opportunities for successful students to gain a direct pathway into selected Curtin courses.

For further information refer to the Canning College website.

Offshore Programs

Through Curtin University's long-standing expertise in the provision of international education, and its partnerships with institutions in Mainland China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Mauritius, Singapore, Sri Lanka and Vietnam, it is possible to undertake all or part of some undergraduate and postgraduate courses in these countries. Programs can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis.

For further information please visit the International Office website.

Study Abroad

Opportunities are offered at Curtin to students from abroad to undertake studies for credit to their degree at their home university but not take a degree from this University. Students participate by applying directly to Curtin.

Currently enrolled Curtin students may undertake studies abroad independently. Students apply for leave of absence from Curtin and negotiate for exemptions on successful completion of their studies.

For further information on studying abroad, refer to the Study Abroad website.

Study Exchange

Opportunities are offered at Curtin to students from abroad to undertake studies for credit to their degree at their home university but not take a degree from this University. Students participate through formally negotiated study exchange arrangements between this University and partner universities abroad.

Currently enrolled Curtin students may also participate in study exchange and Study Abroad. Such studies are undertaken as part of their degree and are negotiated for credit.

For further information refer to the student exchange website.


Information in this publication is correct at the time of printing but may be subject to change.

In particular, the University reserves the right change the content and/or method of assessment, to change or alter tuition fees of any unit of study, to withdraw any unit of study or program which it offers, to impose limitations on enrolment in any unit or program, and/ or to vary arrangements for any program.

This material does not purport to constitute legal or professional advice.

Curtin accepts no responsibility for and makes no representations, whether express or implied, as to the accuracy or reliability in any respect of any material in this publication.

Except to the extent mandated otherwise by legislation, Curtin University does not accept responsibility for the consequences of any reliance which may be placed on this material by any person.

Curtin will not be liable to you or to any other person for any loss or damage (including direct, consequential or economic loss or damage) however caused and whether by negligence or otherwise which may result directly or indirectly from the use of this publication.

International students

International students studying in Australia on a student visa can only study full-time and there are also specific entry requirements that must be met. As some information contained in this publication may not be applicable to international students, refer to for further information. Australian citizens, permanent residents and international students studying outside Australia may have the choice of full-time, part-time and external study, depending on course availability and in-country requirements.